After a rather exhaustive googling exercise, I arrived at a list of products that I initially looked at. The list got quite long, so I started to eliminate as I went along by performing these basic checks:
- Does it have a free trial that includes all functionality, or at least all advertised functionality that I'm interested in?
- Does it support multiple currencies? Specifically I checked for the following:
- Supports ZAR as base currency
- Can I, in the trial, create an invoice in a different currency (USD), either by specifying the currency on the invoice or by specifying the currency on the customer record.
- Check if some basic accounting features are supported, especially functionality for deferred revenue and work in progress, even if only through manual journals.
- Price: I quickly realised that I would quite easily be able to find a good enough solution for less than $250 (USD) per month, so anything that would cost more than this based on our expected usage was eliminated.
I'm now moving on to a next round where I'll compare features and usability against our requirements in a bit more detail and hopefully arrive at a final answer shortly. Although the available options may be quite varied in pricing I'm not too worried about price at this stage. As long as the price remains within certain limits (like $250/month), finding the best fit is a much higher priority than saving a few bucks.